AW: MIF question

Reng, Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Tue May 30 23:45:34 PDT 2006

Hi,

A FrameMaker binary file saved as MIF will represent the
exact same info as the binary fm format in an ASCII format.
This ASCII foramt is even understandable for humans. You
can create MIF files from scratch with a text editor or a
database application.

MIF files do not need to be full FrameMaker files. They
can also contain just variable definitions or cross-reference
definitions. These small MIF files are usually called MIF
snippets. You can import them ("Copy into Document") to
switch formats for another language.

When you only want to view MIF files I recommend the
free MIF viewer MIFBrowse:
http://www.wideman-one.com/gw/tech/framemaker/mifbrowse.htm

Most other tools can only import MIF files but not fm files.

Best regards

Winfried