Missing font in FM although it shows fine in Word?

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 08:45:08 PST 2006

Hi All,

In our current templates, we have a character tag called EmphasisBold that specifies everything "As Is" except Angle==Italic and Weight==Bold. This seems like a logical way to have a flexible character tag. However, the paragraph formats that are used in the body of the documents (all but the various Heading level tags) all use Minion Web as the font family, and this seems to be creating a problem. If we use Word, type some text using Minion Web font family and apply bold+italic, it's not a problem. It displays (and prints) exactly as one might anticipate a bold italic version of Minion Web font to look. The problem is, when the EmphasisBold (bold+italic) char tag is applied to any text in an FM file that uses the Minion Web font family, FM generates the "unavailable font" error and displays it instead as italic Minion Web in regular weight (sans bold).

I'm guessing it's something about the differences in virtual handling of fonts between MS and Adobe, but I have no idea what the solution would be. I did research the Minion Web font at Adobe, and it looks to me like there's not a bold italic version in that font, which I found surprising. So, can someone please explain to me what's going on and suggest some options for a solution? I wouldn't know where to begin to find a similar-looking font to Minion to use as a sub for that char tag...if there such a place/function even exists. (Obviously, I'm no typesetter...)

Thanks,
Rene Stephenson
Technical Editor

Rene L. Stephenson