Missing font in FM although it shows fine in Word?

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 10:01:55 PST 2006

Steve,

Maybe FM should remove the B and I and U buttons from the interface, too, since we don't need to encourage use of such Spawn. Ha, ha!

Thanks so much for all the info. The links are especially useful.

Rene

Steve Rickaby <srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk> wrote:
Rene - You have more or less explained what I think is going on. When you select a face in Word for a font that doesn't actually *have* that face, Word synthesises it, in the case of italics by slanting the Roman face, and Bold by emboldening the Roman face, so I guess bold italic by doing both. The results are usually ghastly. Word does this silently. In fact, if the correct face *is* present, it can sometimes be hard to get Word to use it in response to the 'I' or 'B' buttons, which are actually the Spawn of the Devil and should be removed, as they encourage people to use local mark-up instead of the correct Way of the Styles ;-)

You can find Minion Bold Italic here:

or here:

As for selecting fonts generally, here's a slew of on-line fount shops:

--
Steve

Rene L. Stephenson
eNovative Solutions, Inc.