Disabling ad hoc formatting controls in FM

Wed Nov 1 11:34:12 PST 2006

Lester C. Smalley wrote:

> Absolutely - but you can turn them off now via the View Menu
> - just uncheck the Quick Access Bar.  Of course, you can turn
> it back on and there's still the keyboard shortcuts and the
> Format > Style menu  (sigh)
>
> On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 01:02 PM, Rene Stephenson wrote:
>
> | Maybe FM should remove the B and I and U buttons from the
> interface,
> | too, since we don't need to encourage use of such Spawn. Ha, ha!

You can eliminate those buttons, the Format > Style menu, the keyboard
shortcuts -- indeed, all the different ways of changing formatting
except the Designers and the pgf and char catalogs. You just have to
spend some time customizing the interface. See the Customizing
FrameMaker manual (in the OnlineManuals subdirectory of your FM
installation) for instructions.

I started with the FM customizations from Microtype.com (highly
recommended) and then made further changes to remove ad hoc formatting
controls.

Once you have custom MyToolbar.ini and MyCustomUI.cfg files (either from
Microtype or by creating your own and installing them via maker.ini),
the additional toolbar changes are pretty simple:

-- Comment out (precede with a semicolon) all instances of the
formatting buttons, e.g.:

;6=ICON      , ToolBar1Plain      , StylePlain
;7=ICON      , ToolBar1Bold       , StyleBold
;8=ICON      , ToolBar1Italic     , StyleItalic
;9=ICON      , ToolBar1Underline  , StyleUnderline
;10=ICON     , ToolBar1IncFont    , IncFontSize
;11=ICON     , ToolBar1DecFont    , DecFontSize
;12=SEPERATOR, 5

-- Disable the alignment, spacing, font, and size controls:

AlignmentPopup=Off
SpacingPopup=Off

FontChoice=Off
SizePopup=Off

AlignWell=Off ; already off in Shlomo's kit
SpacingWell=Off ; already off in Shlomo's kit

The MyCustomUI.cfg changes are more extensive, mainly to deal with a
plethora of formatting keyboard shortcuts. I mapped all the char
formatting shortcuts (such as Ctrl+B) to the CharacterCatalog command,
which opens the char catalog. The pgf formatting shortcuts are mapped to
the ParagraphCatalog command. I also removed a number of menu items. If
anyone's interested, email me and I'll send a text file containing the
changes.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs