Intel Mac Findings

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 09:57:50 PST 2006

At 11:44 -0600 20/11/06, Scott White wrote:

>However, we have discovered that some programs on the MAC side -- filemaker 6.0 and Photoshop as of now -- are not running the software natively. The MAC is using an emulator to run these programs. I have noticed in Filemaker that some of my calculations are all out of whack and photoshop 7.0 runs real slow -- almost like  it did in virtual PC.

You need 'universal binary' versions of the programs to run them natively on MacIntel hardware. I don't know about FileMaker, but Adobe elected not to produce UB versions until the next upgrade, sometime in 2007.

Without a UB, Mac OS X runs the PowerPC code through a code-level translator called Rosetta. You can find out about it here:

<http://www.apple.com/rosetta/>

However, if software produces incorrect results under Rossetta, then the manufacturer should be informed - and may already have a fix available.

--
Steve