Conversion Table again <NoName>: How to handle Root Element

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Tue Nov 21 04:35:52 PST 2006

Gyanesh,

You need to have an additional rule in the conversion table to map the
individual paragraph-level elements into the root element, thusly
(columns 1 and 2 of a conversion table show for brevity):

Map this object                       Into this element
------------------                    -----------------
ChapterName, Overview, Para              Chapter

That is, take the sequence of elements ChapterName followed by Overview
followed by Para and wrap them into a Chapter element.

The root element is not necessarily created automatically, and to depend
on the "RE:" (root element) entry in the conversion table may be
convenient but it is unfortunately not in any way a guarantee of correct
or complete structure in the converted file.  This is precisely the sort
of rules mapping elements into more complex structures to which I was
referring in my previous message on this:

"... but will not add the many additional and necessary rules to wrap
elements into more complex structures (such as the Procedure element in
the EDD provided)."