Macros in Frame

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Fri Nov 24 08:15:47 PST 2006

Technically, mostly, realistically, NO.

However...

Always looking for workarounds there are a few things to consider. If what you need is to extract data that is available to FM in the same way that paragraphs are for the TOC, you could build a custom doc using that method. For example, if you need to consolidate all code samples and you have two tags: CodeTitle and CodePhrase.

Build a 'generated file' in Frame and include both CodeTitle and CodePhrase into it. Then tweak the paragraph tags (for format) and the reference pages (to get rid of the default . I've done this for code and it works pretty well.

If you use structured Frame, consider reviewing www.weststreetconsulting.com and check into the tools that Russ has for FrameSLT. It does a far better job of extracting specific content. Finally, there is FrameScript and I've used that to do exactly what you asked.

With FS I take unstructured files and copy only relevant portions to a new document, including all markers, links, xrefs, tables images and so on.

Hopefully one of these ideas will do the trick for you.

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden
Director of Technology and Publishing Architecture
Bright Path Solutions

bernard at travelthepath.com

www.travelthepath.com