TOC Chapter # Troubles

James Dyson jdyson at kvh.com
Mon Oct 2 06:51:11 PDT 2006

Good morning,

I was hoping someone could help me. This is probably an easy fix for
many of you. I have a book containing several chapters, and those
chapter numbers update just fine when I choose update book. However,
when I generate a TOC, each chapter # on the TOC is numbered 1. Here is
some data that might be helpful diagnosing this:

In the TOC, the autonumber format of the chapter level paragraph format
is:
S:<$chapnum>\t

Under Format/Document/Numbering for Chapter 1 only:
*	Use Same Number as Previous File is selected for Chapter 1 only
(since TOC precedes it)

Under Format/Document/Numbering for each other chapter file within the
book:
*	Continue Numbering from Previous File in Book

Under Format/Document/Numbering for the TOC:
*	Chapter # 1 [is manually selected]

Your help would be greatly appreciated! I know a workaround, but I'd
rather get it right.