TOC Chapter # Troubles

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Mon Oct 2 07:53:46 PDT 2006

The mistake you are making is trying to apply autonumbering
to the paragraphs in the TOC. The <$chapnum> variable can only
have one value in a given file, so is you use it in autonumbering
in the TOC, it will always display the same value.

What you need to do is specify that FrameMaker should pick up
the numbering that is applied to each chapter in the book, and
that is done in the prototype entries on the "TOC" reference page
of the TOC file. If you use the <$chapnum> variable in the prototype
for the chapter-level TOC entry, each entry will pick up the value
of the <$chapnum> variable as set for each chapter file.

Similarly, if you are using paragraph numbering in your chapters
(e.g. section numbering, tables, figures), you would have
FrameMaker pick up the numbering that is actually used in the
book by specifying the <$paranum> or <$paranumonly> building
block in the appropriate prototype entries in the reference pages
of the appropriate generated file (TOC, LOF, LOT) rather than
using local autonumbering in the paragraph formats of the
generated file.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ