Header and other issues with FM 7.2 - Ideas requested

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Oct 3 02:57:55 PDT 2006

Loren,

You wrote:

>We PDF multi-chapter, multi-header books using Framemaker 7.2 and Adobe
>Professional 7.0.8. We set up the bookmarks by chapter title and the
>first two heading styles. The bookmarks in the PDF docs correctly divide
>by chapter, but the heading1 and heading2 entries decide inconsistently
>to show up under the wrong chapter.

Double-check the PDF setup of the offending documents as well as book's PDF
setup.
Also make sure that all content is in a single flow (i.e. no multiple
flows, disconnected pages, or separate text frames).
If all is OK, simply try recreating the PS file/saving as PDF and see
whether it is the same (I came across cases where the nesting of bookmarks
was incorrect, and simply recreating the PS file had "solved" this).

>Perhaps most visually distracting of
>all, the various alphabetical headers in the Index show up as a list of
>heading1s under the final body chapter in the Acrobat bookmarks panel.

A similar problem is present in other PDFs authored with FrameMaker, when
the index template has the Index title in a separate flow (current Apple
manuals which demonstrate this are described at
http://www.microtype.com/hmmms.html#0504 ).

The template has to be modified so that only one flow exists in the index
(also, the index title must reside on a body page).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat