Spot Color Printing Problem

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 07:34:40 PDT 2006

I believe that you are still getting color in your PDF because
you are not using spot colors in your document. I would quess
that the red you are using for your red text is defined as a
process color rather than a spot color, and is therefore not
affected by the "Spot Color as Black/White" option in the
FrameMaker Print dialog. And graphics would only use spot
colors if they are drawn with the FrameMaker drawing tools
and use only colors that are defined as spot colors. Imported
graphic objects always use process colors.

If you need to produce a non-color PDF, the way to do it is
to is choose the "Black & White" option on the Paper/Quality
tab of the Adobe PDF Document Properties dialog for the
Adobe PDF virtual printer. You get to this dialog from the
"Setup" button in the print dialog or from the File>Print Setup
command.

But note that if any of your graphics are in EPS or PDF format,
this printer setup option will *not* strip the color out of those
graphics because the printer driver passes through the embedded
chunks of code that represent the graphics without doing any
processing on them. The printer setup option will strip the color
from other types of graphics, though (GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP, etc.)