Indexing recommendations

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Wed Oct 4 10:04:08 PDT 2006

Hi Frank,

First of all, let me say publicly that I have a great deal of respect for
you, both professionally and personally. I admit that my comment about price
is subjective and was based on competitors' prices. I concede that value is
not always measured on initial cost alone.

As far as marker content modification, however, my criticism stands.
TimeSavers is a mature, well-known product in the FrameMaker market. Because
of TimeSavers' extensive use of markers, IXgen was a great product to use in
conjunction with it. Earlier versions of IXgen did not alter marker content,
making it entirely suitable for any kind of marker processing. If index
marker processing is the primary focus of IXgen, then why allow it to
process Hypertext markers at all?

It would be simple for IXgen to accommodate TimeSavers users: simply have an
optional setting to prevent IXgen from altering the contents of markers.
Making this optional would not break any indexing features, but would
restore its usefulness for non-index use. Instead of looking at this as an
accommodation for .001% of your users, look at it as way of increasing
market share. Perhaps more important, it would prevent the alienation of
existing IXgen users that happen to be processing non-index markers and
don't want their marker content altered.

Respectfully,
Rick Quatro