Indexing recommendations

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Wed Oct 4 15:51:23 PDT 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Guy K. Haas wrote:

> Thanks for the elaboration, Frank.
> Have you considered making a configuration option for IXgen that would enable
> the user of such third-party tools to turn off the "[" balancing?

Yes -- that is indeed the conceptual plan. Problem is, within IXgen there
several ways this could be done and several different places where it
could be done.

Even for a very "simple" change like this, UI and coding permutations
expand rather quickly, and then one must be very careful.

We elected to roll this into a future IXgen release, when a regular
development/testing cycle would be in place.

I also recall now that when this issue came up with one of Rick's clients,
we provided a n/c IXgen 5.5 license for them to use when
TimeSavers would be downstream.

Bracket processing was added in IXgen 7 to support several new features of
IXgen. At that time we were not even aware of TimeSavers. As an indication
of the rarity of the problem, more than three years of IXgen 7's release
passed by before the issue surfaced.

Hope that clarifies a bit more.

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  USA FAX: 360-253-1498
http://www.fsatools.com