Translation questions

Gagne, Bernard (Bolton) bgagne at husky.ca
Thu Oct 5 07:23:32 PDT 2006

Hi Alexandra,
Considering the amount of time you've just spent tagging your Frame files
with the changed text, not to mention the amount of correcting you did to
the Spanish files once they were returned by your translator, do you still
think the lowest bidder saved your company any money?
Before my company wised up, we used to send our translators a Frame file
containing only the changes made in our manuals. This was time consuming in
two ways: creating the file and reintegrating the translated text into the
translated manuals. With 18 supported languages it was a full time job for
me.
The idea of having a translation database, or translation memory, is to
identify text that already exists in translated form and separating it from
text requiring localization. In a proper work flow you should never have to
go through what you just did. Did you communicate the corrections to your
translators after the first round of localization? No translator is perfect,
that's why we have our translations proofread by our technicians at our
regional offices. Any corrections they suggest go back to the translators,
and eventually get added to the translation database. There should never be
an issue of an out-of-date translation database unless you flip between two
different translators with different databases. Any changes made to your
manuals have to go back to the translator.
We finally sourced a translation company that makes very efficient use of
translation memory. We send them the complete manuals in native Frame
format, along with all the graphics for the manual. We get back translated
Frame and PDF files ready to print and send along to our customers.
As an aside, if you've made extensive use of generated files (TOC, Index),
autonumbering, cross-references, conditional text, etc. in Frame, I wouldn't
even contemplate migrating all of that to Word. You'll want to slit your
wrists trying to get that piece of ordure to do what Frame does. Just my
two-cents.
Best of luck.

Berny Gagné
Lead Technical Writer