OS 9 Applications on Tiger

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Mon Oct 9 14:43:08 PDT 2006

Hi, Ann:

I'm running FrameMaker 7.x under Classic on Tiger 10.4.8 on a Powerbook
Titanium 667mHz, 1GB RAM with no Tiger-specific problems. I can't
remember if the Tiger I installed on the new replacement hard drive
included OS 9, or if I dragged a System Folder for OS 9.22 from a backup
drive.

You should also take note that you can install Tiger (or other OS X
flavor) AND OS 9.x (or other release) on the same drive and choose which
one to start up with. You can also install and run OSs on external
drives, and choose to start up from the external drive. You do this in
OS X by:

* Apple Menu > System Preferences > Start-up Disk (choose a system 9 or
X folder for start-up and restart)

OR

* As soon as you start an OS X computer, press Option, which presents
the option to choose a start-up folder (OS 9 or X, if both are present
on drives that are accessible to the computer.

In OS 9:

Apple Menu > Control Panels > Start Up Disk (choose...then restart.)

One great area of my ignorance is that I don't know which of the many
new Macs do not support OS 9 and Classic. The geniuses at the Apple
store can give you definitive information on this.

You can read a lot about this (and other stuff) in David Pogue's
excellent and thorough "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" (choose the cat
version you need.) There's not much he overlooks explaining about common
and obscure aspects of Mac-ing.

HTH
Regards,

Peter Gold