Can User Variable value be changed at book level?

Radha Padmanabhan radha_padma at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 21:00:49 PDT 2006

Hi, Good day.

  I use FrameMaker 7.1 with Windows XP.

  I have got a FM book with about 50 chapters (files). But they are logically grouped as 5 guides. All chapters in all guides have footers with Product Name, Release No. and Date and Guide identification. For each guide, the footer has a User Variable-DocumentNumebr. Its value is partially different for each guide. Every time there is a release, the variable value changes. I am having to edit the master page of each of 50 chapters manually.

  Is there a possibility to change the value of the variable from book level for a range of chapters?

  I am a bit apprehensive about using templates (if possible) since the book is authored by someone else and I do not know the underlying risk. Excuses if this is a very basic question.

  Thanks
  Radha