Disappearing text using Save As to PDF

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 07:22:50 PDT 2006

Jessica,

I've been participating in a minor way with several other writers on
this bug in the
Adobe User forum, and there may be a solid work-around.

Try this: Assuming some flavor of Windows, delete the font cache file at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT. Reboot the machine to force the font
cache to rebuild. Distill the file(s) again.

The problem seems to be related to how Windows handles some JKC
(oriental character) fonts, which can be huge files. A few people say
they've affected a permanent fix by deleting these fonts from their
systems, but I haven't tested that. I can solve the problem by
deleting and rebuilding the cache, however. It doesn't seem to be a
permanent fix, although it will work for a while. And no one has
ventured an opinion on what, exactly, it the problem, although Adobe's
Acrobat people are treating it as a bug now.

Cheers,
Art