Muliple Volume Documentation Set for Multiple Site Locations

nancy carpenter carpentn at genco.com
Thu Oct 19 08:14:55 PDT 2006

I use standard FrameMaker 7.

I also publish multiple-volume sets for multiple locations.  I document
software so the documents contain a system introduction, description of
customization and a description of every screen in the application.  The
screens are grouped into menus.  A screen can be included or not,
customized or not.  Customization can be very slight or great.

I mimic the software organization in my document, so the document is
grouped accordingly into chapters for each main menu item such as
Operations and Inquiries, and separate section for each screen in that
menu item.  Sometimes, a menu item has so many screens that I put it in
its own volume.  I divided the volumes into separate files such as General
Introduction, Description of Customization, Introduction to First Menu,
Screen1 in First Menu, Screen2 in First Menu, etc.  I use text insets for
paragraphs that are used in more than one file.  I also use conditional
text for paragraphs that apply only to one location and I never overlap
conditional text.  I had a lot of trouble with that because we had
negative conditions and positive conditions.  So instead, if a paragraph
appears for 10 locations, I copy it and apply the individual condition to
each one.

The screens are imported by reference.  If a screen is customized for any
location, I put it in a folder called Spec_screens.  I store the custom
ones in screen folders that are specific to each location.  Then when I
generate a book for a specific location, I copy the appropriate screens to
the Spec_screens folder.

Then I build a different book for each location.  About 85 to 90% is the
same for every location.  The introductions to the book and to some
chapters often are customized because I use them to tell the reader what
is customized for that location.  When I customize a section for one
location, I include a note in the generic section to tell myself the
location for which the customization is done.  This way, if I change the
generic section, I look at the custom section for each location to see if
the change applies.

It's working, but is a tad complex and can be confusing and might not work
if you have more than one writer, so I am open to a better way and am
looking at alternatives.

Hope this helps you.

Nancy Carpenter
Lead Technical Writer