OT: MIL specs (was RE: general publication quiestion)

Shmuel Wolfson sbw at actcom.com
Sun Oct 22 05:23:54 PDT 2006

   Maybe we should change it to "This page intentionally left almost
   completely blank," to be more technically accurate :)
Regards,
Shmuel Wolfson
052-763-7133

   Combs, Richard wrote:

Daniel Emory wrote:

Certainly I don't advocate the use of MIL specs for preparing
commercial manuals. I do know, however, that most tech
writers who produce manuals for commercial products remain
blissfully unaware of the problems caused by their outputs.

A valid point. Although some of us, at least, aren't _blissful_ about
it. Resigned, maybe. Sometimes whining and grumbling.

<snip>

All I was trying to say is that tech writers in the
non-military world should take advantage of remedial measures
taken by the military to minimize foul-ups.

True, when they're applicable. But don't forget the two most important
concepts in the technical communications field:

(1) It depends.
(2) Know your audience.

When your audience includes HS grads and GEDs, and they may be under
stress, in a hurry, or otherwise highly distracted, and the consequences
of a communication failure may be grave -- well, that's a bit different,
I suspect, from telling UNIX system administrators how to upgrade the
boot server software for their teleconferencing bridges.

Software engineers, in particular, are often very literal-minded and
Spockian. I've actually had an engineer point to an "Intentionally
Blank" page (in another company's manual) and say, "A page is only blank
if there's nothing on it." :-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs