Somewhat OT: Bookmarks in PDF Jumping to Wrong View

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Oct 23 06:23:50 PDT 2006

Susan,

You wrote:

>I tried changing the document properties to single page, but it made no
>difference.  The display still shows with the link in the upper left
>corner, which means my page displays partway up or down the window.

If the page cannot be displayed in full, because of the magnification used
and the page size, Acrobat will scroll up, if needed, to show the
target  in the upper left -- even if Single Page mode is used. It will not
scroll up to the extent of showing a portion from the following page, however.

>Rick Quattro advised me yesterday that this was normal behavior, and
>suggested I have a look at your Timesavers.  I take it from your response
>that Timesavers can't "fix" this.  Actually, it's never bothered me
>before, but one of my reviewers complained about the display so I told him
>I'd investigate.

Indeed, TimeSavers can't "fix" this. It is possible technically to add a
function that will suppress the coordinates info, so that links would point
to a page rather to than to a specific location on a page. This is the case
with PDFs authored in InDesign -- bookmarks & links created automatically
from TOC entries use named destinations which store the page number but not
the horizontal/vertical coordinates of the specific item within that page.
I personally think that this is a limitation rather than a feature.

Rick's suggestion relates to the possibility of settings PDF defaults
automatically upon distilling, with TimeSavers + Defaults Assistant (see
http://www.microtype.com/TimeSavers_Assistants.html for more information).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat