Newbie Question re: Translation Work Process

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Sat Oct 28 16:01:25 PDT 2006

Lin Surasky wrote:

> OpenOffice wasn't as buggy as Word. We could output the Frame content
> directly to XML which the translation tool can deal with. However, can
> we get it back into Frame cleanly?

Yes. This is what we do (but see caution at the end):

In a structured Frame binary file, with an XML application, which
round-trips successfully (ie you can save as XML and open the xml file
through Frame + the apprpriate Structured Application with no changes or
losses), export the file and translate. Then import the result. Easy.

You might wish to add an attribute such as xml:lang to some or all of
your elements. You can use this to enable language-specific
spell-checking in Frame, and also as an identifier to tell other
post-processors what they are dealing with.

Caution 1: If you are using XML as a 'native' save format for Frame
files that don't have a Structure Application (DTD, read-write rules,
etc), you are on your own. It should just work, but we don't use that
process.

Caution 2: This may not work well for languages outside Frame's
character sets, because the result may not render properly in Frame. I
don't know enough (ie anything) about how Frame renders Japanese/Chinese
from xml utf-8-encoded files to guess at what happens, and I'm sure that
other writing systems (Arabic, for example) are not supported.

best

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters

Information design: we help explain things using
language | design | systems | process improvement
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313  email markb at textmatters.com
skype mark_barratt  web http://www.textmatters.com