Disconnected Pages

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Tue Oct 31 11:42:52 PST 2006

Combining everything into one template may sound like a good idea,
but there are a lot of tradeoffs involved for little (if any) real
benefit.
It *can* be worthwhile to have standardized character catalogs and
paragraph catalogs across all your documents, but one advantage
of  the FrameMaker document model is that this can be accomplished
by importing just those catalogs as necessary.

The problem with combining all master pages into one template is
that you wind up never using the default left/right mater pages, and
this is what produces the kind of behavior you've described. You'll
wind up having to apply master pages manually to most of the
pages in most of your documents, and you'll wind up always having
to delete empty pages at the ends of chapters manually because
once you apply a non-default master page FrameMaker no longer
considers the page to be truly empty. To my way of thinking, it's
much better to have a separate template for each variation of what
the default pages should look like. Depending on your page design,
you may be able to get fancy with things like the Running H/F
system variables so that you can use the same master page for
appendixes as well as chapters, but there's not much downside
to simply having different templates with different default master
page designs for the different categories of book components.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ