Hyperlink in PDFs

Jaya Ghosh jghosh at CoWare.com
Mon Oct 30 01:00:34 PST 2006

Hello Framers,

I have a hyperlink related query. Any help related to the issue would help
me resolve the issue.

1.       I have 38 books. Each book has 10+ chapters and each book resides
in individual folders.

2.       Individual book pdfs are created and stored in their respective
folders.

3.       When I open any pdf the hyperlinks work fine across all the books.

4.       I use Quadraly Webworks to generate the htmls for the online
document set. In the online UI we have a pdf icon. Clicking the icon leads
to a page that lists all the manuals with a two liner description of the
manual.  Clicking on the manual name opens its pdf format.  This feature is
called the book case.

5.       For the book case to work from the HTML UI it is mandatory that all
the individual book pdfs reside in a separate folder in the HTML Output
folder.

For example :

1. All my source files and individual pdfs reside in:

Share/ Doc:

ABD User'Guide

ABD Library Reference Manual

ABD SPD-PA Flow User's Guide and so on.

The above three are individual folders.

2. The HTML pages are in stored in the individual folders of each book:

For example:

Outpu/t:

ABD User'Guide

ABD Library Reference Manual

ABD SPD-PA Flow User's Guide and so on.

Pdf- this stores all the pdfs only.

When I open any pdf from 1. above all the cross-references and the
hyperlinks across books work fine.

When I open any pdf from 2. above all the cross-references work fine but the
hyperlinks do not as it is unable to locate the pdfs.

In the source files I created the hyperlinks using the gotolink  hyperlink
option and provide the path of the source files. If I give the path of the
pdf location of the Output folder then the cross-references and hyperlinks
will not work in the HTMLs.

The workaround for this issue is to have a flat structure instead of the
hierarchical structure that I currently have.

I cannot have a flat structure because all the folder names and the location
are hard coded in the script when the build is made. This has been the
practice for along time and not possible to change.

So framers any suggestion from your end to resolve this issue without
changing the file folder structure? Please note this is not a Webworks issue
but a limitation of Adobe.

Any suggestions and workarounds would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jaya