Cross References in Structured FrameMaker

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Wed Sep 13 09:47:40 PDT 2006

At 06:04 AM 9/12/2006, Pallavi Nagesha wrote:
>   I did have cross reference also in the paragraph element, but it was
> like this:
>   <TEXT> | ( Emphasis | InlineGraphic | Button | CrossReference)*
>
>   I changed it to ( <TEXT> | Emphasis | InlineGraphic | Button |
> CrossReference)* and this seems to work.

Pallavi,
   Is it clear why these two general rules give different results?

      <TEXT> | ( Emphasis | InlineGraphic | Button | CrossReference)*

means either <TEXT> or repetitions of the parenthesized group. Since the
group is a choice of one of the listed elements, the net result is to
permit either text or any sequence of the listed elements, but not to allow
text as well as listed elements.

      ( <TEXT> | Emphasis | InlineGraphic | Button | CrossReference)*

means repetitions of the parenthesized group. Again, each repetition is any
one of the listed items. Here, however, <TEXT> is one of the possible items
that can be repeated. Thus, the result is to allow any sequence of text
interspersed with the listed elements.

         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284