good flowchart software to use with Frame

Thu Sep 14 15:21:37 PDT 2006

Dov Isaacs wrote:

> PNG is a raster format that does not scale well.
> Visio is primarily vector. You want to preserve the content
> as vector. Best best is to produce PDF from Visio and import
> either the PDF or EPS (saved from the PDF in Acrobat) into
> your FrameMaker document.

I'm using Visio Pro 2003 and Acrobat 7, and the Visio --> PDF process works great! There's an advantage to it that most people don't realize: Visio files can contain multiple drawing pages, and Convert to Adobe PDF will create a single multi-page PDF from such a file.

In FM, when you import from that PDF, you choose the page. Instead of a dozen separate source files and a dozen separate output files, there's one of each. You can import all the drawings in no time because FM remembers the file name from the previous import, and you just pick a new page. Slick!

Helpful hint: In Visio Page Setup, make both the drawing and print page size exactly the final size you want it in FM, so there's no need to scale (which can cause text problems).

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer