CORRECTION TO: Text in vertical tab

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Tue Sep 26 11:33:48 PDT 2006

Peter Gold wrote:

***** NOTE: THIS IS A CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER POST WHICH CONTAINED AN
ERROR *****
***** SEE BELOW FOR CORRECTION *****

Apologies for any confusion.

    Hi, Mathieu:

    mathieu jacquet wrote:
>     Hi all,
>
>     a question about writing text in a table that has been turned
>     clockwise (or anti..) by 90°. For info, the table is part of a
>     text frame in a master page.
>
>     When I try to select a cell to write in, the whole table is
>     selected, and I fail to write in it. If I turn it back to
>     horizontal, I can write in... I dont' understand, and I don't want
>     to rotate the text frame containing the table each time I want to
>     change the shading, lines or the text!

This is normal behavior when you rotate a FrameMaker page. The trick to
retaining the ability to edit the table is to rotate the text frame, not
the page. You'll need to create a new master page (perhaps two, one for
left pages, one for right pages) this way:

* View > Master Pages
* Special > New Master Page
* Ctrl+Click the main text frame to select it.
* Graphics > Object properties to record the Offset from Top and Left
dimensions for use later.
* Edit > Cut the selected frame to the clipboard.
* Format > Customize Layout > Rotate Page (clockwise or
counter-clockwise, whichever works better for the headers and footers).
* Edit > Paste to place the text frame on the master page. Choose
Template for Body Page.

***** DO NOT ROTATE THE TEXT FRAME - SKIP THE STEP BELOW THIS LINE *****
* Graphics > Rotate 90-degrees counter-clockwise to position the
insertion point in the top-left corner.
***** DO NOT ROTATE THE TEXT FRAME - SKIP THE STEP ABOVE THIS LINE *****

* Graphics > Object Properties to get the text frame properties. Swap
the Height and Width dimensions to reorient the text frame on the page.
Swap the Offset from Top and Left dimensions you recorded earlier to
reposition the text frame.
* Apply this master page to the body page that needs rotation.

This method keeps the text frame oriented correctly, with the insertion
point in the upper-left corner, while the page on which it appears is
rotated. Tables can be edited.
Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices