Experience Running FrameMaker on the new MacIntel

ppresley at sbcglobal.net ppresley at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 26 08:16:53 PDT 2006

I've been down the path . . . tried BootCamp, Parallels, and only looked at some others.

*For ME* the solution is a fairly low-end Dell laptop to run FM 7.2. Happily, I had used FM 4.0 on Windows and was familiar with the differences between Mac and Windows. Adobe allows upgrades from "any version" of FM, so it wasn't too expensive.

I emphasize that this is the best solution for me. Others like Parallels (which continues to improve over the weeks and months); still others like BootCamp.

I   downloaded a freeware program, Synergy http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ that allows one to use one mouse/keyboard for, say, a Macintel and Windows machines sitting next to each other. I've seen Synergy work, but have not installed it myself, because the instructions for Macintel say ". . . in your root directory . . . ." I don't want to go there. Ten years ago I didn't mind muddling around in root directories. Now, however, I'd rather hire somebody else to do it. (The Windows program is fairly simple to install).

Re FM on Windows. It works fine. There are a few things about the Windows FM that I like better than the Mac version. There are a few things in the Mac version that I like better than the Windows version. In general, I don't like Windows (who ever does once they've learned Mac?).

I can move my documents back and forth between the OS9 version of FM and the Windows version since I'm have the same fonts open fonts on both computers. I didn't buy Acrobat Std/Professional for Windows because, for most of my purposes, the Acrobat Distiller does what I need. For those projects that need more, I move over to the six-year-old OS9 computer.

As I said, this is what works well for me. Others like different solutions. Aren't we glad that there are several workarounds--not just one--to keep using FM!!

Paula Presley Editorial Services
Editing, Indexing, Typesetting/Composition
820 E. Meadow Ln., Kirksville, MO 63501
660-627-1359 / ppresley at sbcglobal.net