Indexes - a bit off topic

eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com
Thu Sep 28 07:46:20 PDT 2006

ASI may have an official document out supporting indexes and
differentiating between indexes and indices, but with all due respect,
there is nothing wrong with using "indices" in any context. I have seen no
dictionary or language authority that makes a differentiation in
definition between the spellings. Secondly playing the grammarian on an
e-mail list is usually bad netiquette. It's particularly fraught with
danger when the audience of the list is international. The opinions of the
ASI may carry little to no weight with the British, Canadian , or other
equivalent national bodies. Just as the "preferred" spelling in
dictionaries is more dependant on the nationality/locale of the publisher
than it is of "correct" usage. Further more, their power over the
individual is non-existent. As their opinions carry no weight out side
their own organisations, no matter how they may pretend otherwise.

I won't argue the pluses or minuses of "-exes" or "-ices". Only that I use
"-ices" and try to spell consistently using "-our" and not simply "-or"
except when writing for an American audience. When reading, I will flinch
at neither. As long as the document is consistent in its usage. Just as
the thread was progressing happily with both accepted and valid spellings
without complaint.

I also endeavour to teach my children to use kid, calf, gosling, chick, et
al instead of baby ____. Same goes for murder, gaggle, and flock. Even if
one day these usages/terms all fall from "preferred" dictionary status.

Let's go back to discussing FrameMaker please...

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

ppresley at sbcglobal.net wrote on 09/27/2006 10:07:41 AM:

> As a member of the American Society of Indexers (ASI),
> I have to put in a plug for the word "indexes."
>
> This is the preferred spelling in most dictionaries
> for the lists of terms with locators that are found,
> ususally, in the backs of books. ASI also promotes the
> use of "indexes" as the plural of "index."
>
> Likewise for appendix/appendixes.
>
> "Indices" is used by financial and meteorlogical
> folks. I don't remember who uses "appendices" except
> my colleagues who are thoroughly familiar with church
> Latin.

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systems d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.