Importing MathType equations to FM 7.2

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 03:12:03 PDT 2007

At 15:45 -0400 6/4/07, Art Campbell wrote:

>Once you have a good EPS or PDF, in FM, put your cursor where you want
>the anchor, like at the end of a paragraph. Then try importing the EPS
>graphic using File > Import > File (importing by reference is the
>preferred method). It'll pop into an anchored frame.

I second what Art has said, and this is equally dangerous as I don't have MathType either. Just to add that if you aren't familiar with EPS import, remember that what you see in FrameMaker is the EPS *preview*, usually a low-res TIFF in Windows, which will either look tatty or, if MathType doesn't create an EPS preview, invisible. The equation should print ok though.

Although I too do not have MathType, I cannot see that an EPS of one of its equations should be any different to any other EPS as long as it's a valid file.

A GIF is very unlikely to give you good printed quality for something like an equation.

At 08:31 -0700 6/4/07, Gabrielle Burns wrote:

>Understanding that equations have been a weakness of FM for several
>releases...

I am at FrameMaker 7.0, having got there from 3.0 via many steps, and I am unaware of any material change to the embedded equation editor, which as I understand was a bought-in product in Frame Corp days, during that time. I don't use it much, though. It is foxy, but not impossible to use: back in '97 I did a book that had almost more equations than text. The author had laid the book out on a galley about a mile wide, and I remember having to send some large equations that refused to 'fold' to Adobe Support for a good hammering.

>For example, is there a 3rd party equation editor that is compatible with
>FM?
>
>Does Adobe have plans to support MathML?

I can't answer those questions.

>In the meantime, the engineers I support are quite displeased with the Adobe
>rendering of equations. My concern is the possibility of having to return to
>Microsoft Word, which supports MathType.

That really should not be necessary. It is certainly not desirable. If you get issues with the EPS from MathType, it's the job of MathType support to sort it out. I just hope that its EPS is better than, say, the EPS from Visio. There is definitely no fault on FrameMaker's side in the situation you describe.

--
Steve