shortcut for para down

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Wed Apr 11 12:39:13 PDT 2007

Hi, Shlomo!

Shlomo Perets wrote:
> Peter,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> Have you tried copying the format of an overridden example paragraph
>> to the clipboard, then pasting it where you want to apply it?
>>
>> To repeat this action on other paragraphs that use the same format,
>> (tap) Escape (tap) j (tap) j; lowercase matters. This repeats the
>> last paragraph format action; pasting the format stops when you copy
>> other content to the clipboard.
>>
>> If you need to apply the override to different paragraph formats,
>> create examples in a separate FrameMaker file, and copy special from it.
>

> When applying the "keep with next" property to a paragraph and then
> using the Repeat Last Paragraph Action shortcut in another paragraph,
> the entire set of paragraph properties is applied (together with the
> tag name), including the override. Using this shortcut makes the
> operation highly tag-specific (this equally applies to copy special >
> pgf format + paste).
I agree. My suggestion was for the case where one paragraph format needs
the override often. I suggested the separate file to make it easy to
choose among several different paragraphs.
> If the Keep with Next override is only needed with a small number of
> paragraph formats, it is likely better to have "official" paragraph
> tags with the needed settings (not as overrides), or to have
> additional paragraph tags that minimize the need to apply pagination
> overrides.
As you know, there are two schools of thought on this:

* Overrides for page-flow tweaking are GOOD, because importing the file
to itself with Remove Overrides makes it easy to clean up a file for the
next iteration or revision. Dedicated paragraph format variations for
different page breaks or keep with behavior is BAD because removing the
custom tweaking is more effort.

* Dedicated paragraph format variations are GOOD for page-flow tweaking,
because they are stable and are proof against Remove Overrides actions.

One takes the road that leads to that inner peach that all technical
authors seek constantly<G>.
Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices