FrameMaker and InDesign

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Sat Apr 14 16:14:29 PDT 2007

Hi, Graeme:

Graeme R Forbes wrote:
> It looks like the new version of ID in CS3 has got some better
> long-doc handling tools. Or so Adobe says. I would still rather switch
> from FM to ID than run Windows FM under simulation - Parallels or
> whatever. One foresees just too many unforeseeable problems.
>
> So: does anyone know what the current state of development of the
> MIF->ID filter that DTP Tools (?) is working on is?
>
> Reading the ID forum at Adobe suggests that the new version still
> doesn't have x-refs. Anyone know if that's right?

No x-refs in CS3.

> There's also a claim to do footnotes. Anyone know if ID does footnotes
> *correctly*: do they break across pages like real footnotes are
> supposed to, or does the entire note jump to the next page if it
> doesn't all fit on the current page, a la FM?

Good question. I hadn't looked at the footnotes, while testing, until
you asked. They do break across pages; it's a document-level option, to
break or not It looks like different component documents in a book can
set break or no break, but I haven't experimented with this, yet.

I tried a couple of goofy layouts with one-, two-, and three-column text
frames in one story (same as one FrameMaker text flow,) and found it
hard to predict how the various sized footnotes - small, medium, and
large, intermixed - would split (or not split). Perhaps it's saner in
real situations than an undisciplined test like mine. There were no
whitespace gaps in the footnotes or the story's text.

There's a lot of formatting and layout control over footnotes. No table
footnotes, though. No x-refs to fake them, either.

Thanks for asking.

HTH
Regards,

Peter Gold