Handling several language versions of documentation and graphics

Andersen, Verner Engell VEA verner.andersen at radiometer.dk
Thu Apr 19 04:16:47 PDT 2007

Hi
We are going to tranlate our English manuals into several languages. I have always inserted graphics by link in FrameMaker.

For each manual to be translated we need 70% new language-specific drawings.
For each release of a product there is a 70% reuse of drawings from the previous release

Which directory structure and working method do you suggest so that it is easy to create a new version of a manual and keep links to all graphics.

When I only had English manuals I simply copied the whole document folder to a network store and renamed my working folder to the next edition.
Then I would update the changed drawings in that folder.

Now we are talking about several manuals in 21 languages and many translators. Each manual may contain 200 drawings.

Regards,

Verner Andersen
Technical Writer

Radiometer Medical ApS