better diff tool?

Fred Wersan fwersan at mak.com
Thu Apr 19 05:24:16 PDT 2007

I've been thinking about using Framescript to do something to all edited
text to make it stand out, for example, underline it or apply a
condition. That would separate out the real changes from the other
things that change bars pick up, but which don't really matter for
reviewing updated doc.

After the review cycle is over, I would get rid of the underlines or
whatever.

Haven't done it yet, though, so I can't say how well it would work. I'm
not sure what I would do about deletions.

An alternative which might work for your engineers would be to save the
files as text (or export to HTML or XML) before and after and let them
use the diff tools they are comfortable with. Formatting probably
wouldn't matter much, you'd just care about what was changed. Ugly, but
maybe doable.

Fred
--
Fred Wersan