[BOSTON] TnT SIG Program: Structured Authoring: The dilemma of choosing a forward path - April 30, 2007

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Fri Apr 27 10:02:49 PDT 2007

Boston-area writers interested in moving into structured authoring may want to attend this SIG meeting on Monday night. The "word on the street" seems to be that structure is great for big companies, but for small companies, not so much. I am a lone writer at a small-and-growing company. As my burden has increased, technology has helped me to keep up.
Now I am looking at structure from a small-company perspective, addressing issues like "can I afford to defer all our docs needs while I take a week of training?", "do I try to learn it myself or bring in a consultant?", "what is the ultimate payoff?", and "do I have all the arguments I need to pitch it to my boss?".
This event is for people who are asking those same questions and related ones about how (and whether) to more forward to structured authoring.

________________________________

From: stcinfo at googlegroups.com on behalf of Ed Marshall
Sent: Mon 4/23/2007 9:35 AM
To: stcinfo at googlegroups.com
Subject: [stc-info] TnT SIG Program: Structured Authoring: The dilemma of choosing a forward path - April 30, 2007

Tools & Technology SIG Program: Structured Authoring: The dilemma of
choosing a forward path

Presenter: Kay Ethier or Bernard Aschwanden

Date and Times:

Monday, April 30, 2007

6:30 - 7:00 pm   Registration and networking
7:00 - 8:30 pm Discussion

Bright Path Solutions will present on structured authoring, a topic of
interest to many technical communicators. We'll cover some of the pros and
cons of structure, information on getting started, and how to avoid
pitfalls. This presentation will be tools agnostic, providing information
through a variety of structured authoring tools. Structured authoring is a
relatively new approach to documentation... Come learn more about the
benefits and how to determine if they are enough for your situation.

About the Presenter:

Bernard Aschwanden is a recognized publishing technologies expert, who
presents internationally at conferences and events across Europe and North
America. He is also an Adobe Certified Expert, a Certified Technical Trainer
and the author of numerous articles on XML-based publishing and single
sourcing. A dynamic and entertaining speaker, he tailors his presentations
to the audience and welcomes participation.

He is a senior member of the Society for Technical Communication, the Vice
President of the Toronto STC and Past President of the Computer Trainers
Network. Bernard has helped hundreds of companies implement successful
publishing solutions. Bernard is focused on publishing better, publishing
faster and publishing smarter.

Kay Ethier is an Adobe Certified Expert and Adobe Certified Instructor in
FrameMaker 7.x. She is also a WebWorks University certified trainer. At
Bright Path Solutions, Ethier helps clients creates a variety of documents:
online help, user guides, training materials, aircraft maintenance manuals
(among other ATA documents), military documents, and more. She helps teams
deliver their materials in many formats. Kay has authored several books,
including: XML Weekend Crash Course, Advanced FrameMaker, and XML and
FrameMaker. Her newest book is XML: Problem-Design-Solution, co-authored
with Mitch Amiano and two additional XML experts. This book is published by
WROX (June 2006). In addition to her expertise in publishing, Ethier teaches
classes for Bright Path Solutions and partner companies. Teaching experience
includes XML and related technologies, DITA (Darwin Information Typing
Architecture), structured authoring, content management, HTML, XMetaL, Adobe
FrameMaker, and Structured FrameMaker

Location:

OpenWave
One Burlington Woods Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

Map and Directions

http://www.stcboston.org/sigs/directions_openwave.html

Cost and registration:

STC-Boston and STC-NNE members Free
Other STC members and nonmembers      $5

Please register online
(http://www.stcboston.org/php/registration/eventregister.php?sig) for this
meeting by April 27.

No refreshments will be available, but attendees can bring their own food
and drink.

For More Information:

Contact the Tools & Technology SIG leader, Ed Marshall
(ed.marshall at verizon.net).

4:19 PM