Side heads and master pages

Thu Aug 2 06:53:06 PDT 2007

Leah Smaller wrote:

> To acheive something more compact, I applied my IndexRight
> and IndexLeft master pages (no side heads, 2 columns, 1 text
> flow). Now this looks really great, gives me exactly what I
> want, and fits exactly onto 2 pages.
>
> The problem is these that 2 pages have side heads (which is
> puzzling, since IndexRight and IndexLeft master page do not
> have side heads). I want to acquire more real estate on the
> page by getting rid of these side heads.

It's not clear from the FM interface (where you control side heads in
the text frame properties dialog), but side heads are a property of the
_flow_, not of the frame. IOW, if your flow has side heads on, then all
text frames in that flow will have a side head.

The workaround for your situation is to modify the text frames on the
custom master pages you're using so that the side heads aren't evident.
Set the width and gap to some small value (and adjust total text frame
width accordingly), and maybe put the tiny side head on the right so it
doesn't affect the left alignment of headings that straddle the side
head.

HTH!
Richard

------