For Unstructured Framemaker users: FM8 migration plans

Pinkham, Jim Jim.Pinkham at voith.com
Tue Aug 7 06:41:20 PDT 2007

We're still at 7.1 and Acrobat Pro 6. All is relatively well.

FM 8 seems attractive -- one thing that would entice me would be if
multiple undo has truly attained stability in FM 8. (Yes, I know the
chorus, "Undo is for wimps!" but I've been spoiled by all those years in
Word, at least on that particular score -- BTW, rugby players think NFL
football is for wimps, too, so each to his own.)

A significant improvement in overall FM stability would interest me,
too. Usually 7.1 behaves itself, but the other day it crashed on a whim.
I save often enough to have averted major disaster, but it was still an
annoyance and work and time lost.

Acrobat 8, from what I've read, is likely significantly more stable than
6. Just as importantly, for us, would be the ability to bring AutoDesk
Inventor graphics into our documentation. We're not fully there yet, but
it doesn't take much of a crystal ball to see its possibilities in our
future.

I think we will go there. It's just a matter of time, budget, and how
quickly our workflow creates the demand to access the new advanced
features.

I'm also curious to watch the development of InDesign and see how much
convergence it achieves with FM. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but
it's quite possibly an appealing future option.

Jim