For Unstructured Framemaker users: FM8 migration plans

Mike Wickham mewickham at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 7 07:37:14 PDT 2007

> For users of unstructured Framemaker, what are your FM8 migration plans?
>
> Are there any compelling reasons to upgrade at this time?

I plan to upgrade*, but I'm still playing with the trial version of FM8. For
me, the coolest feature is the ability to insert Unicode characters. I can
now take advantage of the full character range of those fonts that have
characters above the ASCII range. I also like the new row of tabs for open
files. You can see which files are open at a glance. Clicking on a tab beats
the heck out of clicking on Window to call up the file list and then
clicking the appopriate file. (It's still not as easy as Alt-Wn.)

There's also a new text edit tracking feature, similar to Word's, that shows
added and deleted text in different colors. I have no need for it right now,
but I like it more than the old change bar method. If you use conditional
text, they've added some Boolean expressions that make it more versatile.

Mike Wickham

* That is, if I can find a solution to an apparent bug with the interaction
of justification and allowing automatic letter spacing, that I reported in
another thread.