Structured Frame Question

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Thu Aug 9 09:50:23 PDT 2007

On Thursday, August 09, 2007 12:39 PM, Eric Dunn wrote:

| On 8/9/07, Mike Feimster <mike.feimster at acstechnologies.com> wrote:
|
| > Now the book is valid, even though the toc is an unstructured file.
|
| IMO, this is an unfortunate failing of FM or simply a missing feature.
|
| FM should be able to produce structured generated files. could be
| perhaps accomplished by adding element information to the reference
| page building blocks.
|
| It's not too difficult to do using Framescript and I have done it for
| a couple of projects in the past.

It is unfortunate that generated documents are not structured, but it is
also rather easy to use FrameMaker's conversion table feature to apply a
structure to them, as these are usually not very complicated
hierarchies, if one does not have FrameScript.

Of course, this has to be redone after generating a new/updated version
of the files (TOC, LOF, etc.) or at least, before you need a completely
valid fully structured book, which itself is an ideal task for
automating with FrameScript... :-)

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com