FM8 - what are hyphens.xxx files for?

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 14:56:06 PDT 2007

I don't think this has changed in FrameMaker 8.0. In older versions,
the hyphens.* files are the standard, editable language-specific
hyphenation dictionaries as opposed to the spelling dictionaries
(*.lex binary dictionaries, *.dct editable dictionaries), the binary
hyphenation dictionaries (*.hyp), and the binary thesaurus files
(*.ths). In each case * represents a language code, typically
three letters.

Personally, I've never paid much attention to the hyphenation
dictionaries because our standard templates do not enable
automatic hypehnation for any paragraphs. Our templates use
ragged right alignment and automatic hyphenation makes only
a small improvement in overall appearance but causes a significant
degradation in readability. But YMMV.

Fred Ridder