FM8: Renaming a para format throughout a book?

Thu Aug 16 15:08:52 PDT 2007

John Sgammato

> In FM8, is there a convenient way to rename a paragraph
> format throughout a book?
> For example, I want to rename Heading 1 to Heading1. I can do
> it in one chapter, but importing the file across the book
> simply adds the new format, while leaving the other in place.

I haven't seen FM8 -- I assume the Paragraph Designer's Global Update
still work only at the file level. There are several plug-ins that would
make short work of this, but you can get most of the way there with a
book-level Find/Replace (after importing the new pgf format to all files
in the book):

1) Put the cursor in a Heading1 pgf and select Edit > Copy Special >
Paragraph Format.

2) Select Edit > Find/Change (Ctrl+F).

3) For Find, select Paragraph Tag and to the right enter Heading 1. For
Change, select By Pasting. Set Look In to Book.

4) Click Find and verify that it found a Heading 1 pgf. Click Change and
verify that the format was changed to Heading1.

5) Click Change & Find a few times until you're comfortable that it's
working as intended. Then click Change All.

Of course, the Heading 1 format remains in the catalog of all files, but
it's no longer applied to anything. You can delete the format itself at
your leisure as you work on the files.

HTH!
Richard

------