Combining side-heads and full-span paras in the same document

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 10:36:24 PDT 2007

The title says what I need to do. There seem to be two ways of doing this:

a. Set up left/right master pages with a sidehead margin and separate left/right master pages without sidehead space for the full-span settings, then set up a suitable master pages ref table.

b. Set up left/right master pages with a sidehead margin and a separate set of full-span para tags for the full-span pages.

When I try the first method, it fails to work despite everything appearing to be correct. I think this is because the sidehead property is a property of the flow [which I seem to remember reading here recently], so that even though the full-span master pages have been applied, FrameMaker ignores their side-head settings.

Is there a way around this so that I can get method a. to work, or do I have to go with the more conceptually messy method b.? [Or is there a method c?]

--
Steve