Frame 7.2, Distiller 8.1, and Publi PDF

Jacob Schäffer js at grafikhuset.dk
Wed Aug 22 07:00:40 PDT 2007

Jay Rush wrote:
< A recent thread on August 3 addressed Distiller crashes, mainly with Frame 7.2 p158 and Distiller 8.1. Some issues revolved around .tps files left behind and Save As PDF versus other methods. One post provided this link (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2f3d0), which indicates that this is apparently a known issue that may be resolved with a future version of Frame (8.0??), and as Arnis Gubins pointed out on that Acrobat forum thread, "What's happened with the 8.1 Distiller is that the default mode will no longer allow the postscript file being distilled to access other external files. One needs to configure Distiller to start with the -F switch, which can't be done using Save As PDF (it always calls Distiller without the switch)." >

	I have just published the beginning to a small whitepaper on the /F parameter issue. Please see http://www.grafikhuset.net/PubliPDF/tech_distiller_81_quirks.html for details.

< Until upgrading to Acrobat 8.0 this morning, I have been successfully using Grafikhuset Publi PDF-a PDF creator that enables me to create color-corrected, web-ready and press-ready PDFs in a very automated way. Now I can't. It seems that Distiller 8.1 does not allow execution of external files anymore. So what do I do? Uninstall Acrobat 8.1 and reinstall Acrobat 8.0? Do I have no other recourse but to upgrade to Frame 8.0? Is there a workaround or a patch that I can enable if I'm not yet ready to upgrade to Frame 8.0? >

	I can confirm that Grafikhuset Publi PDF queues currently cannot function with Adobe Distiller 8.1 (for the very same reason -- the new Distiller default setting), but is working hard on a fix to this problem. Users should downgrade Acrobat or use GPL Ghostscript 8.60 as JobInterpreter in the interim.

	The new Grafikhuset Publi PDF revision is expected to be ready late in August 2007, i.e. within a week or so.

All the best
Jacob Schäffer
Grafikhuset ApS