first impressions of FrameMaker 8

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Fri Aug 24 10:32:25 PDT 2007

"Umpteen years"???  It's barely been two years since 7.2 (although
I'll admit that it has been about 5 years since 7.0 as the last major
version release).

And IMO FM8.0 includes several pretty major new features and
capabilities, although from your perspective it may be easy to
dismiss them as "it's about time" features or things that don't
matter to you. In addition to Unicode support, both revision tracking
and the improvements to conditional text (Boolean expressions
for show/hide settings and better indications for overlapping
conditions) are big features that would have involved a lot of
development and testing effort. Yes, many of us have been
asking for these features for years, but seeing Adobe investing
resources to actually implement them in an application that
all the tea-leaf readers were proclaiming as a dead product
3 or 4 years ago is very heartening.

Just my opinion...
Fred Ridder