document numbering in a book

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Aug 27 12:26:50 PDT 2007

Carol Wade wrote:
> I have a book that contains two types of documents - one type to start a
> new topic, (I call them "new topic" docs) and other that contains
> information about that topic (I call them "detail documents"). All
> documents that discuss a given topic have the same volume number (and
> this is working). However, I want the page number to restart with each
> "new topic" document. So, I have the new topic documents' Numbering
> Properties set to "First Page# 1, Format Numeric," and the detail
> documents' Numbering Properties set to "Continue Numbering from Previous
> Page in Book." Numbering does restart correctly in the new topic docs,
> but numbering in the detail documents is continuous throughout the book
> - as if it had not restarted in the new topics doc.
>

> Is this "as designed?" Is there some workaround available?

Carol,

It sounds like you're setting these properties in the individual files,
rather than in the Book Window.  Book settings override file settings.

Select (Ctrl-click) all your detail documents in the book window and
choose Format > Document > Numbering, and set them to continue.  That
should do the trick.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Not later than three days before unexpected shipment, the Buyer informs
the Seller about possibility for receipt of the Goods."

— from a foreign sales contract