Help with footnote numbers

Graeme R Forbes Graeme.Forbes at Colorado.EDU
Tue Aug 28 00:32:05 PDT 2007

Tina Ricks wrote:

"I've got the footnote body set to 10 points (Format > Document > Footnote
Properties). Unfortunately, this means (I think) that the footnote reference
(in the main text) is also 10 point superscript. "

No, the reference numeral's attributes in the main text are
controlled by the default font settings of the paragraph in the main
text. Change the default font to a dingbat font and you'll see what I
mean -- it's independent of what you choose for the text of the
footnote

So far as I know -- I'd love to learn I'm wrong -- the only way to
change the number's attributes is to change the default font
attributes in the Para Designer. In your case, set the default para
fontsize to 9 points, apply, and the footnote reference number will
shrink too.

But, you say, I don't want the regular text of the body paragraph to
be 9 points. Solution: override.

I did this with a book I prepared proofs of a couple of years ago. I
wanted old-style figures for the footnote reference numbers in the
main text and at the start of the footnote. So I made an "Expert
variant" format for every type of paragraph in the main text that
could have a footnote number in it, and made Kepler Expert the
default for the footnote text paragraph. Then I created two formats
for overriding the unwanted Expert (i.e., all characters except the
reference numbers), one to use in footnotes and one to use in body
text.

This is not as painful as it sounds, unless you're changing a
paragraph that's already been done in the old format, and it already
contains a variety of Character Format overrides, as mine often did
(math symbolism). Applying the format to change all the text in
Expert (small caps for letters) back to the standard one overrides
those other overrides if you apply it to all the paratext -- so
either you do that, then go back and restore the original overrides,
or else you apply the "regular text" override to segments between
original character overrides. It's a whole lot better if you can
anticipate in advance if your para is going to have a footnote in it,
set the variant format, type space at the end, then start typing
ahead of the space with the special override applied. But a lot of
the time you can't anticipate this.

For at least 14 years people have been asking the owners of
FrameMaker to fix the many problems with the footnoting facility,
some of which require workarounds even uglier than the above. Don't
hold your breath.

Graeme Forbes