Text lines disappearing below bottom of main text flow frame

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Tue Aug 28 11:56:50 PDT 2007

Bodvar -

I haven't run into the specific problem you describe, and I can't offer
much advice as I work with single-column documents almost exclusively,
although they do use side heads.

As you are working in a structured document, there may be issues with
element formatting such as keep with next/previous properties, and
widow/orphan settings.  And because settings are inherited, it may be
specified on a higher element in the structure before you actually see a
problem.

Have you checked and perhaps adjusted the Feathering property (found in
Format > Page Layout > Line Layout) of the text flow?

Are your footnotes set to be "In Column" or "Across All Columns"? (I
don't know if this makes a difference or not)

You can try to re-hyphenate the document.  Odd as it seems, this often
clears up some unusual formatting issues that otherwise don't seem
solvable.

Good luck!

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 09:06 AM, Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote:

| I found a posting since 2004 about the same thing. This happened when
| columns were set to balanced. Same here. There was never a reply to
| this posting.
|
| Is this a problem that others have experienced?
|
| Bodvar
|
| On 8/27/07, Bodvar Bjorgvinsson <bodvar at gmail.com> wrote:
|
| > I think this is an oldie, but I cannot find the thread(s) that dealt
| > with it. And it is Monday and everyone is fresh and rested after a
| > nice weekend. :-)
| >
| > I have on several accounts in the past few weeks come across one of
| > the weird behaviours of FrameMaker (not so uncommon in other frame
| > based applications) that one or two text lines hide between the
bottom
| > of the page frame (overflow) instead of flowing to the next page.
| >
| > A couple of weeks ago I noted a solid line in the bottom of a page
| > frame and saw that a line was not flowing over to the next page but
| > kept hidden, even if I printed the file. Since this has happened on
| > several occasions, and I just cannot find out how to hunt these down
| > in any other way than to look at the bottom of every page (and these
| > will be some 800).
| >
| > My environment is M$ WinXP, FM 7.2 (structured), and all pages are
| > two-column setup.
| >
| > Another and similar unacceptable behaviour is that sometimes a line
| > of text overflows to the line above a footnote. I found out that was
| > even harder to deal with.
| >
| > The way I dealt with the page overflow was to insert one or two hard
| > breaks, forcing the lines over and then deleting the hard brakes.
That
| > seemed to work for the page overflow, but not for the text lines
| > overrunning the footnotes.
| >
| > Any help to do away with these bastards in an orderly manner (other
| > than to wait for FrameMaker 9.6) will be highly appreciated.
| >
| > Price: all the virtual pizza you can eat and whatever virtual you
| > might want to drink! (Even on a Monday!). ;-)
| >
| > TBF
| >
| > Bodvar Bjorgvinsson

- Lester