Seeking info on AuthorIt vs. FrameMaker

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Wed Aug 29 15:33:01 PDT 2007

Maxwell Hoffmann wrote:
> I have 3 potential customers who are rejecting FrameMaker in favor of AuthorIt. All 3 accounts are in e_Learning. Does anyone have an experienced opinion on what areas AuthorIt may have any advantages over FrameMaker?
>
> I want to make sure that these accounts are making an informed opinion. I have gone over AuthorIt's website fairly thoroughly, and a comparison with FrameMaker is not obvious, based on their data.

I have evaluated AuthorIT on a couple of occasions but not built a
production system with it (yet).

AuthorIT is very attractive for users because it is based on Word, but
offers a template-controlled environment (within Word's templating
abilities), good-enough content management and repurposing, decent
access to translation tools, and import/export to XML, Frame and other
formats including online help.

It's not a tool you would use if print is a key output format for you,
unless you are prepared to put up with Word's limited abilities in this
area.

Many documentation professionals (and all designers/typographers) are
appalled by aspects of AuthorIT, which is crude in many ways compared
with Frame. But it has a fairly shallow learning curve for authors and
editors, and is relatively inexpensive. It suits organisations because
it imposes a documentation workflow model which may replace a fairly
disorganised existing documentation 'system'.

It is proprietary and locked to Microsoft workstation and server solutions.

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters

Information design: we help explain things using
language | design | systems | process improvement
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313  email markb at textmatters.com
skype mark_barratt  web http://www.textmatters.com