batch processing of large numbers of text files?

FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com
Fri Aug 31 10:30:58 PDT 2007

Hi Ben:

I've been using Python to manipulate XML files, and it's free and
friendly. Well, I sit with a lot of professional programmers, so I have
help, but they assure me that it's a wonderful scripting language compared
to many others. Did I mention that it's free?

Here's the download site: http://www.python.org/
And here's the reference book: http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html

Good luck!

Fei Min Lorente

"B Hechter" <bhechter at objectives.ca>
Sent by: framers-bounces+feimin_lorente=amis.com at lists.frameusers.com
08/31/2007 12:47 PM

framers at lists.frameusers.com
cc

Subject
batch processing of large numbers of text files?

Hi Framers,

Well, it looks like I will need to batch process a large number of ASCII
(plain text) system configuration files in the same manner, in order to
filter out information that I do not need, before I import them into
Frame.

I don't know if this a proper topic for the list, but it takes me back to
my
UNIX days of using "sed" with great success (even for a non-programmer
like
me), to create a standard set of batch text processing instructions that
could be applied consistently and repetitively to large numbers of
pattern-based plain text files.

The question is two fold:
a) any sed FM users out there?
b) are there other similar (economical) options for batch processing of
text
files?

Comments and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks!