Keyboard shortcuts in FM8 (was Re: 8.0.1 patch fixes FM Book to PDF issue)

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Dec 12 12:27:33 PST 2007

Will White wrote:

 > How does such a monstrous bug like a nonfunctionng F0-9 sequences get
 > past QA?  Don't any of the developers USE the software?
 > Stupid question. I've worked in a number of software houses and the
 > answer is, sadly, "They don't".
 > In the meantime, I won't even think of 'upgrading' to FM8.

FrameMaker  8.0 was released according to the schedule Adobe announced well
in advance ("Adobe has not published the time frame for the next release of
FrameMaker... However, our current assumption is that the next major
release of FrameMaker will be in the first half of 2007", Adobe Solutions
for Tech Comm FAQ, PDF dated July 18, 2006).

However, bugs and issues reported by many of the those eager to move to the
new version seem to indicate insufficient testing prior to release.

Adherence to time tables is certainly important, but in this case, it seems
to me that FrameMaker 8.0 -- at least at this stage -- will be associated
more with the ongoing problems and user frustration, rather than with the
release according to schedule. Was it worth it? I have my doubts...

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat