Keyboard shortcuts in FM8 (was Re: 8.0.1 patch fixes FM Book toPDF issue)

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Wed Dec 12 19:16:05 PST 2007

Hi, Kelly:

> I just upgraded to v8 for a couple of handy workflow features (like tabs) but I could do without them in favor of stability.
> This release, especially the lack of fast-following patches, has me deep in the hunt for a new authoring tool...regards, Kelly/RockwellRegards,

The tabs aren't particularly valuable as upgrade features. The
Unicode, XML, and DITA features are more to the point, for those who
need these productivity improvements.

FM 8.0.1 came out pretty soon after 8.0, though the formatting
keyboard shortcut bug remained.

The Technical Communications Suite, and its productive close
integration with RoboHelp and Captivate 3 - for those who need this
set of interconnected tools - also followed soon after FM 8.0, though,
again, the annoying keyboard shortcut bug remained.

IMO, moving FM and RoboHelp to newer, more modern software
architecture, will probably pay back any investment going forward, by
making it more efficient to fix bugs and add needed new features, as
new technical-publishing requirements are discovered.

I used to hate hearing someone say, "In a perfect world, you'd have
your <name your favorite missing feature set here>..." but there IS
evolution, even if it's slower than we'd like. No competing tool set
is perfect, either, so hang in, send in feature requests, send in
requests to participate in beta programs, help push the envelope.

Peter